Birmingham pub bombings: PM pays tribute to families but fails to offer inquiry

4WardEverUK • 28 September 2025

source: The Herald (Scotland)

first published: 25 September 2025

Image Credit: cooldesign at www.FreeDigitalPhotos.net


Sir Keir Starmer has said the families of those killed in the Birmingham pub bombings will “never be forgotten” but failed to commit to an inquiry into Britain’s biggest unsolved mass murder.


The Prime Minister said a new legacy scheme agreed with the Irish government meant that the atrocity could “now go into that system,” indicating it will be dealt with alongside other Troubles-era deaths.


Asked whether this made a full public inquiry more likely, he said reforms to the framework were designed to “get to the bottom” of “all” issues, including the Birmingham pub bombings.

Relatives of people killed in the 1974 attacks renewed calls for the probe “as a matter of urgency” last year ahead of the 50th anniversary of the killings.


Sir Keir said at the time that the Government was “engaging with the communities and campaigners” and would “come to a decision as quickly as we can.”

Speaking to BBC Midlands on Thursday, he said: “There has been engagement by the Government with those communities and of course what we’ve done, particularly in recent weeks and months, is to set up the new legacy arrangements, which we’ve now agreed with the Irish government and will now put through the necessary legislation and that means that this case can now go into that system and so we’ve made progress there.”


Pressed on whether an inquiry was in scope, the Prime Minister said: “Well, in my view it needs to go into the new legacy arrangements because they’re designed to get to the bottom of all the legacy issues including the Birmingham pub bombing and so that’s the route that this case should now take and I’m pleased that we’ve got the legacy arrangements in place.


“It’s something that hadn’t been done for many years but we’ve now managed to get them in the right place so we’ve made progress in that respect."


Read full article >

share this article on social media

man in a dark jail cell
by 4WardEverUK 16 February 2026
Justin Plummer, Oliver Campbell and Peter Sullivan tell parliamentary inquiry they do not yet qualify for compensation despite having been exonerated of their alleged crimes.
IOPC Deaths in Custody - Statistics for England and Wales - 2024-25
by 4WardEverUK 4 February 2026
In July 2025 the Independent Office for Police Misconduct (IOPC) released the full details of their custody deaths statistics for England and Wales 2024-2025.
riot police
by 4WardEverUK 1 February 2026
The high-profile killings of Minneapolis residents Alex Pretti and Renee Nicole Good are only two among many, and have sparked protests and outrage throughout the nation.
Children carry banner at demo
by 4WardEverUK 25 January 2026
After years of waiting for change, friends and family of people who ‘died in police custody’ are coming together to demand justice from the police writes James Whitfield.
INQUEST - Unlocking the Truth, Oral Histories Project
by 4WardEverUK 25 January 2026
The INQUEST Oral Histories Archive documents state violence, death and resistance in the UK since 1981 and explores over 40 years of fighting for justice through sound, image and print.
Surveillance camera
by 4WardEverUK 25 January 2026
Whatever the outcome of the trial between various claimants and the group behind the Daily Mail and The Mail on Sunday, it sheds light on a a circle of dodgy journalists and corrupt police officers.
More Articles